August 10, 2010

Keep Pond Sludge Problems and Algae Bloom Away

Today I would like to discuss a very common pond keeping problem. One raised by Bill, a newsletter subscriber who lives in the UK …

“Hi Sean

Many thanks for all the useful emails. I can't always read them at once so I keep them and they are useful to refer to. Excellent service.

I do have a problem. I have a 2000 gallon pond (9000 litres). I have just started it again after a disastrous leak which killed off all my fish after 15 years of successful breeding so I am treating it as a new pond.

I have treated the tap water and recharged the filter bacteria. Then I added Viresco and have not seen blanket weed since.

I got the usual algal bloom but I can't get rid of it. The new pond is now over two months old. I have added Algorem which kills off the algae turning the water brown.

There is so much algae that when I kill it, I get sludge mats floating on the surface - enough to clog the skimmer. I remove these with a skim net.

I added digester to speed up the digestion of the dead algae but the pond just sits there - brown and after a time it turns green again and I repeat the cycle.

I did not have this problem last time I started the pond. Have you any idea what I am doing wrong?

Bill”

“Hi Bill,

There is only one really effective way of controlling the buildup of green water, caused by suspended algae and that is to destroy it using ultra violet light.

Chemical treatments only work for a short period of time and as you have discovered cause the formation of sludge.

See the full article here ...

http://www.garden-pond-filters.com/Newsletters/cleanpond_bills_letter.htm

Learn how to choose the right pond keeping equipment to save money, Guaranteed! Go to http://www.garden-pond-filters.com/ to learn everything you need to know NOW!