September 25, 2010

Has MY PVC Liner Pond Got A Leak

I received a question from a reader of mine, based in Warsop, England, who was amazed at how much water his pvc liner pond was loosing, when he didn't appear to have a leak anywhere in his pond.

This is what David wrote ....

"Hi There,

I live in Warsop and have a 200 gallon pvc liner pond that is home to 5 small koi, 3 goldfish and a few parrots feather oxygenator plants. The problem I have is that my pond looses quite a lot of water, almost overnight in some cases. I lost 8 inches of water last Tuesday.

Sometimes when I fill the pond back up the water level remains constant for a couple of days and then disappears again!

I've checked the pond for leaks and can't see anything obvious. Unfortunately I haven't seen the bottom of the pond to see if there is a puncture there. I don't think this is the problem as the guy who installed the pond was doubly careful to make sure that he laid pond underlay down first.

I know that all ponds loose water through evaporation but as you know this summer has been particularly wet with a lot of rain. I read somewhere that evaporation is more of a problem in hot humid weather conditions.

Please can you shed any light on my problem?

Thanks
Dave Milton"

Click the link below to see what I said to David...

http://www.garden-pond-filters.com/Newsletters/QA2_leakingpondarticle.html

Learn how to choose the right pond keeping equipment online, to save money, Guaranteed! Go to http://www.garden-pond-filters.com/ to learn everything you need to know NOW!